Friday, December 21, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Review

Holy shit, looks like it's Christmas time 'cause this is my second post this month!  I've had more time to write since I'm on break plus I'm feeling generous, so why not?  Also, I may or may have not promised to write a review on The Hobbit in my last post.  This is a bit late considering the movie came out last Friday but better late than never, right?  (I don't see it that way.)  Well, you're just insatiable.  Let's get to it!


Just in case, for some odd reason, you don't know anything about The Hobbit I'll give you a brief rundown of the story.  The Hobbit is essentially the prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy written by J.R.R. Tolkien, possibly the greatest fiction author in the last two centuries.  (What about J.K. Rowling?  She wrote the Harry Potter books!)  Please, stop it.  You're not really comparing Harry Potter to anything Tolkien wrote, are you?  I mean, the Harry Potter books were cute, I guess.  But nobody important dies in the story.  (What about Sirius Black and Ron Weasley's brother?)  Like I said, nobody important.  Anyways, the basic plot of the story is there's a party of dwarfs on a quest to reclaim their home in the Lonely Mountain from the dragon Smaug.  This group of dwarfs is led by Thorin who was the king's grandson when the dragon forced the dwarfs out of their homes.  Joining the dwarfs is the wizard Gandalf the Grey, a name that should sound familiar if you ever saw the Lord of the Rings movies or even read the books.  (But where does the hobbit come in?)  Well, as it turns out the dwarfs need a burglar to steal the Arkenstone from the dragon which is essentially the heirloom of Thorin's family line.  Gandalf chooses a little hobbit named Bilbo  Baggins (played by Martin Freeman), Frodo's uncle from The Lord of the Rings, to be that  burglar.  Only problem is that Bilbo doesn't want to go on an adventure and wants to stay in Hobbiton.  Eventually Bilbo changes his mind and goes on this quest.  The story also sets up the trilogy with Bilbo finding the ring, but it's mostly just about Bilbo's adventure.


I've read both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.  To be quite honest I've always preferred The Hobbit over the trilogy.  It's just so much more fun to read.  It's a story about adventures and as a kid, and even as an adult, those type of books really draw you in.  There's nothing wrong with the trilogy as a story, but it was just so much harder to read.  When I read The Lord of the Rings it felt like a chore.  For the longest time I had been waiting for The Hobbit to be made into a movie.  Now that is is a movie this is what I have to say:  As a movie The Lord of the Rings just translates better.  It's just the first movie in a series of three for The Hobbit (whose idea was it to split the book into three movies?) but so far The Lord of the Rings is doing better on film.  There's nothing wrong with The Hobbit really, it's just different.  Frodo is trying to save the world in The Lord of the Rings and Bilbo is just going on this adventure for shits and gigs. It's different when it's on film because you're expectations for what's at stake are higher.


As far as the production of this movie goes it was, dare I say, neat-o burrito.  (What?)  Okay, it was pretty good.  This movie was of course directed by the amazing Peter Jackson.  He did the Lord of the Rings trilogy and did amazing at it.  I believe Return of the King actually won the Academy Award for Best Picture.  I've never complained about anything Peter Jackson has done.  I liked what he did with King Kong and he also produced The Adventures of Tintin which was really cool, and violent, for a kids movie.  (Let me just check IMDb for anything else he directed...)  He did some other shit I haven't seen.  Either way once again he was successful in bringing Middle Earth back to life.  Everything looked amazing!  Everything from the dwarf mines to the elf cities to the hobbit town was beautiful.  Times like these I'm glad I'm not blind.


Alright it's time for my official grade for this movie.  Hmm... I'll give this a Guapo, pending on how the rest of the trilogy works out.  I wasn't blown away, but it was a pretty good movie.  It's beautiful to watch and it's a really fun story.  If anything just go for the story, I know you're not gonna read the book.  The only reason why anyone wouldn't like this story is if they absolutely hate adventures.  So basically they'd have to be Bilbo Baggins from the beginning of the story.


Okay that's the end of this post.  You know the drill, follow me on Twitter @ELGUAPO3.  It's like my blog but one sentence at a time.  It's also less structured.  I guess the world was supposed to end today and we're still alive, so I guess that means you get to continue to enjoy my blog.  (Actually the today wasn't the end of the world, it was just as the end of the Mayan calendar.)  I know that.  I'm just appeasing all the motherfuckers who are into that type of shit.  Stay tuned for my future posts and stay Guapo out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment